Veterans Educational Assistance Program (VEAP)

Veterans Educational Assistance Program (VEAP)

This education assistance program for veterans can help you get a college degree.

Did you enter the Armed Forces between January 1, 1977 and June 30, 1985? Did you open a military contribution account before April 1, 1987?

If so, and if you met a few other requirements, you may be eligible to receive money to pay for a college degree program through the Veterans Educational Assistance Program (VEAP). Through this college aid, you must make contributions from your military salary to pay for a college degree program or other higher education.

Find out if the Veterans Education Assistance Program (VEAP) can provide you with college funding to help cover the costs of tuition and other school expenses.

What Is the Veterans Education Assistance Program (VEAP)?

This education assistance program provides service members with money for a college education, including tuition and other college costs. This college money can be used for a variety of programs at colleges and universities, as well as other types of schools: It can be used for certificate programs, flight training courses, apprenticeships, correspondence courses, such as those through online schools, and degree programs at a college or university.

Who Is Eligible for the Veterans Education Assistance Program (VEAP)?

To receive this college funding, you must have entered active duty in the Armed forces between January 1, 1977 and June 30, 1985, and you must have made financial contributions from your military pay, of at least $25 and up to $2,700. These contributions are matched on a basis of $2 for each $1 by the US government.

How Much College Aid Can You Receive through the Veterans Education Assistance Program (VEAP)?

The amount of college money you receive depends on your monthly contributions from your military pay. You can receive between 1 month and 36 months of education benefits through this program.

How Do You Apply for the Veterans Education Assistance Program (VEAP)?

  1. Do a Campus Explorer college search to find the education program you’re interested in. Make sure this program is approved for VA training.
  2. Complete the VA Form 22-1990, the Application for Education Benefits.
  3. Send your completed application to the regional Veterans Affairs office that serves the state you’ll take courses in.

You can also apply online through the Veterans ON-line APPlication (VONAPP) website.

Veterans Educational Assistance Tips & Tactics

  • To withdraw your VEAP contributions, you must complete the VA Form 22-5281, Application for Refund of Educational Contributions. Send your completed form to your closest VA regional office.
  • You can use your VEAP education benefits for up to 10 years from your last day of active duty in the Armed Forces. If you don’t use all of your college aid, the remaining portion will be automatically refunded.
  • Look at all of the Veterans Affairs education programs you’re eligible for very closely before deciding which one to pursue. You can’t pursue more than one at a time, so you want to make sure you choose the one that will be most beneficial to you.
  • Already started your training? Then your school or employer must complete VA Form 22-1999, Enrollment Certification. Once complete, send all of your forms to the nearest VA regional office.

People Who Read This Article Also Read:

Military Financial Aid Programs: the Basics
Military Scholarships: The Basics
Are You Eligible for Federal Aid When You are in the Military?
GI Bill Programs: the Basics
Colleges Respond to GI Bill Benefit Delays

See All Military Financial Aid: The GI Bill and Beyond Articles


Visit Our Student Center

Get on track!

Visit our Student Center

And find out everything you need to know about planning for college.