College Planning in High School
Getting Started with Your College Planning
Planning for college can be a daunting prospect. But we can walk you through the process, no matter where you are in your high school career. Find out how to get started and move through high school to the college of your dreams.
- College Planning: When Should I Start?
- Building a Strong High School 4-Year Plan
- College Admissions: Do Private Schools Have An Advantage?
- High School Freshman Timeline and Checklist
- High School Sophomore Timeline and Checklist
- High School Junior Timeline and Checklist
- High School Senior Timeline and Checklist
- College Admissions Stress
- Time Management Skills for College Prep
- Students With Disabilities
See All Getting Started with Your College Planning Articles
High School Academics and Activities
Academics are a huge part of high school and will form the backbone of your college applications. But how do you know what classes to take? What about sports and other extracurriculars? Learn how to structure your classes and activities to maximize your college admissions chances.
- What is a GPA?
- AP Classes: An Introduction
- Valedictorians: Who Are They and How Are They Chosen?
- Tutoring: How It Can Help You Get Into College
- Academic Awards for High School Students
- Sports and College Admissions
- Student Government and College Admission
- Summer Vacations and College Admissions
- Volunteering, Community Service and College Admissions
See All High School Academics and Activities Articles
Finding the Right College
There are thousands of colleges in the United States. So how do you pick one? How do you even get the right information about colleges? We can help with your research and your decisions. Learn about the different types of colleges, prepare for your college visits and explore alternatives to âtraditionalâ colleges. Itâs all here.
- 3 Helpful College Search Resources
- How To Really Learn About A College
- Explore All Higher Education Options: Types of Colleges
- Should You Attend a Single-Sex College?
- Private vs. Public College: Which is Best For Me?
- Small Schools vs. Large Schools: Which is Right For Me?
- Smartest Colleges
- The Most Spirited Colleges
- Why Campus Visits are Essential for Students
- Transfer Basics
- Study Abroad: How to Survive College in a Different Country
- The Gap-Year Options
See All Finding the Right College Articles
College Applications and the Admissions Process
Now that youâve found the college you want to attend, how do you get in? What are colleges looking for? We can walk you through the entire college application process. Learn about everything from application essays and interviews to the Common Application and the acceptance rates of top colleges.
- The Admissions Process: What Are Colleges Looking For?
- 10 College Application Tips You Need to Know
- College Admissions Options: Early Decision, Early Action, Rolling & Regular
- Preparing for Your College Interview
- College Essays: Tips and Sample Questions
- College Letter of Recommendation
- What To Do When You Are Wait-Listed
- How Selective Are Top Colleges?
See All College Applications and the Admissions Process Articles
Standardized College Testing and Test Prep
Like it or not, standardized tests are an important part of the college admissions process. Learn how you can maximize your scores, manage stress and put your best foot forward. And, guess what, there are even schools that donât require test scores. Find out everything about college admission tests and test prep now.
- SAT or ACT: Which Should You Take?
- SAT: The Essentials
- ACT: The Essentials
- Sample SAT Questions and Strategies By Section
- SAT Strategies
- SAT Test Prep Courses: What Will They Do For Your Score?
- SAT Tutors and Coaches
- SAT Prep Online
- 5 Best Foods for SAT Test Day
See All Standardized College Testing and Test Prep Articles
Parents' Guide to College Planning
Is my child ready for college? How can I help during the college admissions process? How can I work with my childâs guidance counselor? Can I pull strings at my alma mater? These are all questions that parents of high school students askâ¦and weâve got answers in our special section designed just for parents.
- Is My Child Ready For College?
- Working With Your Child's College Counselor
- Standardized Tests: A Parent's Guide
- Can I Pull Strings At My Alma Mater?
- Can My Child Visit Colleges Alone?
- Campus Safety
- College Student Housing: A Parent's Guide
- College Drinking
- A Parent's Guide to Helping Your Child Choose a College
See All Parents' Guide to College Planning Articles
College Planning for International Students
Are you an international student looking for a school in the US? Or do you want to find other students like you at a specific school? Find out the answers to all of your international student questions here.
- How to Apply to College as an International Student
- Student Visas
- Prospects for International Students After Graduation
- International Exchange Programs
- African International Students
- Chinese International Students
- EU International Students
- Indian International Students
- Middle Eastern International Students
See All College Planning for International Students Articles