How to Pay for College
College Financial Aid: The Basics of Student Aid and FAFSA
Navigating the world of financial aid is complicated and time consuming. Sometimes it's challenging to find the straightforward information you need. That's why we created this section "The Basics." Everybody should have all the baseline information they need to understand financial aid. Learn what you need to know to pay for college.
- You're In! How Are You Going to Pay for College?
- How to Apply for Financial Aid
- Figure Out What College Will Really Cost You
- 10 Things You Need to Know About Paying for College
- Top 5 Mistakes Students Make with Financial Aid
- What is Your Expected Family Contribution (EFC)?
- Financial Aid Timeline: Senior Year
- Understanding Student Aid: Federal, State and College Aid
- What's a Financial Aid Package?
- How to Complete Your FAFSA
- Questions to Ask Schools' Financial Aid Offices
- Award Letter Basics
- Financial Aid for International Students
- How to Balance Your College Budget
See All College Financial Aid: The Basics of Student Aid and FAFSA Articles
College Scholarships and Grants for Education
There's nothing better than finding money for college that you don't have to pay back. That's what this section is all about. We want to help you find the grants and scholarships out there that you can actually get. Government Pell Grants are a great place to start ... are you eligible? You can find out here.
- Scholarship Basics
- How to Find Scholarships
- How to Apply for Scholarships
- 12 Essential Scholarship Tips for Students
- Military Scholarships
- Athletic Scholarships: The Basics
- Federal Pell Grant Basics
- Pell Grant Eligibility
- Pell Grant Can Be Used for Summer College Courses, Starting in Summer 2010
- President Obama Increases Pell Grant Awards
- Are There Weird Scholarships Out There for Me?
See All College Scholarships and Grants for Education Articles
Guide to Student Loans and Borrowing
Chances are you will need to take out some loans to pay for your education. But you want to be smart about it. Learn about the difference between subsidized and unsubsidized loans. What's a Stafford Loan? What's a Perkins Loan? Find out everything you need to know about student loans here.
- Borrowing Basics
- Borrowing Tips
- How to Keep Debt Low
- Different Types of College Loans
- Managing Your Loan Information
- Federal Perkins Loans
- Stafford Loans: The Basics
- Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS) Loans: the Basics
- Subsidized Loans vs. Unsubsidized Loans
- Federal Work-Study (FWS) Program
See All Guide to Student Loans and Borrowing Articles
Saving for College and Tuition Tax Credits
Financial planning for college is extremely important. Whether you're doing short-term or long-term planning, we've got you covered from 529 plans to guaranteed tuition programs. Thankfully, the government also helps students with tax breaks. Learn the ins and outs here. Get started now.
- Saving for the Future: Short-Term College Planning
- Saving for the Future: Long-Term College Planning
- Long-Term Savings Plans Overview
- 529 Plans: The Basics
- Coverdell Education Savings Account (ESA): The Basics
- Invest in Your Future with the Guaranteed Education Tuition Program
- Uniform Gift to Minors Act (UGMA) or Uniform Transfer to Minors Act (UTMA): The Basics
- Tuition Tax Credits
- The Hope/American Opportunity Tax Credit
See All Saving for College and Tuition Tax Credits Articles
Graduate School Financial Aid
Graduate students have a different set of financial aid requirements than undergrads. How long will your program last? What are your career prospects after you get your degree? Will your employer contribute to your tuition? Find out what you need to know about graduate school financial aid here.
- Top 10 Tips to Pay for Graduate School
- Masters Degree Scholarships, Grants, Fellowships and Assistantships
- Graduate Student Loans: What are my Options?
- How to Get In-State Tuition as a Graduate Student
- How to Get Your Employer to Pay for Your Graduate Studies
- Why Should You Apply for Graduate Financial Aid Early?
See All Graduate School Financial Aid Articles
Military Financial Aid: The GI Bill and Beyond
The U.S. military has a unique set of financial opportunities for soldiers that can help pay for education. The Post-9/11 G.I. Bill and the Montgomery G.I. Bill give service members some of the best opportunities to fund their educations. What about reservists or military family members? Learn everything you need to know about military financial aid for college here.
- Military Financial Aid Programs: the Basics
- Air Force Tuition Assistance
- Army Tuition Assistance (TA)
- Navy Tuition Assistance (TA)
- Marine Corps Tuition Assistance (TA)
- GI Bill Programs: the Basics
- Active Duty Montgomery GI Bill
- Post-9/11 GI Bill: The Basics
- Military Children Education Benefits
- Military Spouses Education Benefits
See All Military Financial Aid: The GI Bill and Beyond Articles
Paying Back Your Student Loans and Managing Student Debt
Taking on student loans and other debt to pay for your education is one of the most important decisions youâll make. But are you prepared to manage your debt and pay back your obligations? Learn how to handle your debt and consider some of the options for repayment.
- Should You Consolidate Your College Loans?
- 10 Facts About Repaying College Loans
- How to Handle Problems Repaying College Loans
- Choosing a Federal Repayment Plan
- What Should I Do if I Canât Make My Student Loan Payments?
- Student Loan Forgiveness
- My Degree Isnât Earning Me Money, Should I Try Income-Based Repayment?
See All Paying Back Your Student Loans and Managing Student Debt Articles