Get Admissions Info
School of Visual Arts
The School of Visual Arts (SVA) in New York City offers fine arts and professional visual arts degrees at the undergraduate and graduate levels.
Undergraduate students may major in fine arts or in a professional visual arts field like:
- BFA Degree Advertising
- BFA Degree Animation
- BFA Degree Cartooning
- BFA Degree Computer Art, Computer Animation & Visual Effects
- BFA Degree Design
- BFA Degree Film
- BFA Degree Fine Arts
- BFA Degree Illustration
- BFA Degree Interior Design
- BFA Degree Photography and Video
- BFA Degree Visual and Critical Studies
SVA also awards graduate degrees. These include:
- MFA Art Writing
- MAT Art Education
- MFA Art Practice
- MPS Art Therapy
- MPS Branding
- MFA Computer Arts
- MA Critical Theory and the Arts
- MA Curatorial Practice
- MFA Design
- MFA Design for Social Innovation
- MA Design Research, Writing and Criticism
- MPS Digital Photography
- MPS Directing
- MPS Fashion Photography
- MFA Fine Arts
- MFA Illustration as Visual Essay
- MFA Interaction Design
- MFA Photography, Video and Related Media
- MFA Products of Design
- MFA Social Documentary Film
- MFA Visual Narrative
Students have the opportunity to exhibit their art at one of SVA's three student galleries. The school's New York City location also affords many opportunities to visit a range of galleries and museums.
Undergraduate admissions requirements include submission of an application, an application fee, transcripts and ACT or SAT scores. Applicants must also submit a portfolio of their artwork. Portfolio requirements vary from one program to another.
The School of Visual Arts awards academic and talent scholarships. Students may also apply for need-based aid by filling out a FAFSA. Need-based aid includes grants and loans. Many students receive financial aid from multiple sources.
* Financial aid is only available for those who qualify.
School Website: School of Visual Arts
- School of Visual Arts is an accredited institutional member of the Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE), the National Association of Schools of Art and Design (NASAD), the International Association of Independent Schools for Art and Design (AIAS), the Association of Independent Colleges of Art and Design (AICAD) and Cumulus, the International Association of Universities and Colleges of Art, Design and Media.
School of Visual Arts
209 E 23rd St
New York, NY 10010
View campus map for School of Visual Arts
Excellent walkability. You do not need a car for this area.
Excellent transit. This area has plenty of convenient public transportation.
Seasonal average temperatures for New York, NY