Students can apply for scholarships, including the STA Travel Inc. Scholarship, to fund academic trips abroad and receive college credits for any work that gets done while on the trip.
As a student studying foreign language, you have some unique scholarship opportunities. You can apply for scholarships like the KOR Memorial Scholarship, which goes toward tuition. Or you can apply for scholarships that will let you study abroad, where you can immerse yourself in the language and culture of your choice.
Both of these types of scholarships can be valuable and are popular with foreign language students, so we've compiled a list of the most popular scholarships that will help you master any language you plan on learning.
1. DAAD Undergraduate Scholarship
The DAAD Undergraduate Scholarship is specifically designed to allow students to study or conduct research in Germany. The money can fund an independent project or trip you're planning or a study abroad semester organized by your school.
Amount: At least 650 euros a month, with additional funds for travel and health insurance
Eligibility Requirements: Students must be sophomores or juniors in college at the time of their application and plan to spend at least four months in Germany.
Application deadline: February 2
2. IES Merit-Based Scholarships
IES Abroad offers IES Merit-Based Scholarships for students who are studying Arabic, Mandarin, French, German, Hindi, Italian, Japanese or Spanish. This scholarship allows students to study abroad in certain countries through IES Abroad.
Amount: Up to $3,000
Eligibility Requirements: Applicants must be accepted to and enrolled in an IES Abroad program.
Application deadline: October 25 and May 1
3. Dr. Carlos E. Castaneda Memorial Scholarship
International Studies Abroad (ISA) sets up study abroad trips for students. With the Dr. Carlos E. Castaneda Memorial Scholarship, the ISA hopes to give students the opportunity to immerse themselves in different cultures and gain more understanding and tolerance.
Eligibility Requirements: In order to apply, you must be in your sophomore or junior year of college and must attend a school that's affiliated with ISA.
Application deadline: October 30 and April 30
4. KOR Memorial Scholarship
The KOR Memorial Scholarship is sponsored by the Klingon Language Institute. You don't need to be familiar with Klingon Languages to apply for this scholarship. You just need to be majoring in any foreign language.
Eligibility Requirements: Applicants must be full-time students pursuing a degree in some language.
Application deadline: June 1
5. STA Travel Inc. Scholarship
STA Travel Inc. is a company that sponsors study abroad experiences for students. Students can apply for scholarships, including the STA Travel Inc. Scholarship, to fund academic trips abroad and receive college credits for any work that gets done while on the trip.
Eligibility Requirements: Students must be U.S. or Canadian citizens and be enrolled in a university that will accept academic credit from an STA Travel trip.
Application deadline: Varies
- Many of these scholarship applications require that you write an essay. Have other people (teachers, parents, friends, etc.) read your scholarship essays before you submit them. They may be able to suggest things about you and your activities that you may not think of.
- If you have an interest in foreign language, the options for your specific major are numerous. You can choose to major in a specific language (like Spanish, French, or Chinese), or choose a major that requires the study of language like Linguistics, Comparative Literature or the Classics. Regardless, most scholarship foundations won’t penalize you if you change your mind once you're in school.
- Campus Explorer's scholarship search tool will give you information about dozens more scholarship opportunities.